Lenten Meatless Meal Alms, Week V
It’s hard to believe this is the last installment of these Meatless Meal Plan Alms! I hope you’ve enjoyed it!
I’m ending with my favorite Lentil soup. This is one of those go to meals for me – when I have a full day ahead and no time to cook! It just takes a few minutes to throw together (you could even combine all the ingredients the night before) and is super filling and delicious. It freezes really well! I like freezing it in single serve containers that can be thawed and reheated for quick lunches.
The soup is so hearty that it really is a main dish (especially if you add the spinach! Gotta have our greens!!). However, serving it with a grilled cheese sandwich is such a treat! A grilled cheese tip: spread some bakery sour dough slices with coconut oil instead of butter, use some Colby cheese, cook slowly over medium heat on a nonstick griddle. Makes a SUPER crispy and gooey grilled cheese! Serve with sliced tomato.
Creamy Lentil Soup
- 1 c. brown lentils
- 1/2 c. barley (not quick cook)
- 4 carrots (sliced)
- 4 stalks celery (sliced)
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- A few handfuls of fresh spinach or chopped kale (optional)
- 6 c. water
- 2 small cans condensed cream of mushroom soup (about 20 oz)
- 2 TBSP Better-Than-Bouillon (flavor of choice – I’ve used veggie, chicken or beef in this recipe. If they have the mushroom flavor, I’m sure that would be good too)
- 1 TBSP Herbes de Provence
- Snipped fresh parsley
- Sour Cream or Cottage Cheese or Plain Greek Yogurt
In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients except the last 2. Cover and cook on low for 8-8 ours or high for 4 hours. Top each serving with some parsley and a dollop of sour cream.